Saturday, 25 August 2007

Foolproof Banana Cake

I have made this cake so many times and in so many variations, and it always turns out well. It started out calling for plain unbleached wheat flour, and you can certainly use that although I think it is better with soft whole wheat flour. After that I made it with 1 1/2 cups brown rice flour and 1/2 cup corn starch, which was very good. Then it turned out that a friend who is also avoiding wheat has even more troubles with corn, and now I am using 1 1/2 cups brown rice flour, 1/4 cup light buckwheat flour, and 1/4 cup arrowroot flour. Works fine!

I have skimped on the bananas, I have stuffed extra banana in there, I have used thinned yogurt, sour cream or even plain milk or soy milk to substitute for the buttermilk. I have always ended up with a lovely cake. I suppose it is humanly possible to bugger this up, but I haven't managed it yet.

12 servings
1 hour - 20 minutes prep time

2 cups flour*
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup sugar or Sucanat ( I often use half and half)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 extra-large eggs
2 cups mashed ripe banana ( 4 large bananas)
3/4 cup buttermilk

Line 2 9" round pans with parchment paper, and grease the sides. Dust with flour. Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Sift together the flour(s), baking powder and salt in a small bowl.

Cream the sugar with the vegetable oil in a large mixing bowl. Beat in the vanilla extract and the eggs one at a time, then the mashed bananas.

Stir the dry ingredients in alternately with the buttermilk.

Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pans.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Let partially cool in the pan, then remove to finish cooling. Ice with Cocoa Buttercream Frosting, or other frosting of your choice.




*See notes in intro about substituting different types of flour.

4 comments:

Valli said...

The only thing a person could do to banana cake is to not make enough!!!!The troups would revolt!!

Kevin said...

Banana cakes are great! Yours looks amazing.

Patricia Scarpin said...

This is the most sinful banana cake I have ever seen!

Sandra's at home said...

I found this just be a google search for banana cake and it turned out AWESOME! Totally foolproof - and really really good!
Thank you