Friday, 17 August 2007

Apple Crisp

Apple Crisp is probably the definitive Ontarian dessert; familiar, easy and do-able three-quarters of the year. This is the first time I have made it since spring, and that almost makes me a little sad - summer is coming to an end. But it's hard to be too sad when the consolation is Apple Crisp. I used the Lodi apples we bought last week.

I have two glass lasagne pans, one about 8" x 10", the other larger. I often double this, and make it in my larger lasagne pan. Works fine, although the pan is a little full. It will need to be baked longer - not quite twice as long, but heading in that direction.

Apple Crisp in the panIf you like, serve it with a little cream or ice cream.

Apple Crisp4 to 6 servings
1 hour - 20 minutes prep time

1/2 cup Sucanat
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup oat flour
1/2 cup barley flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup unsalted butter

6 large apples
1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 to 4 tablespoons sugar

Mix the sucanat, oats, and other dry ingredients. Work in the butter with your fingers until the mixture forms coarse crumbs.

Preheat the oven to 375°F

Peel, core and slice the apples, and put them in a small lasagne pan or other similar shallow casserole dish.

Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar over the apples, and toss gently. Use more or less sugar and cinnamon according to taste, and also according to how sweet your apples are.

Sprinkle the crumb mixture evenly over the apples.

Bake the apple crisp for 20 to 25 minutes until the top is nicely browned. Best served warm, although no-one has ever turned down the cold leftovers for breakfast.

3 comments:

Kevin said...

mmmm... apple crisp... let a bit of vanilla ice cream melt on top of it... I am looking forward to the apples that are coming, though I am still really into the peaches and berries etc. This weekend I am hoping to pick up a bunch of local field ripened roma tomatoes.

Ferdzy said...

Yeah, I know Kevin, I have a hard time paying attention to the early apples when the peaches and plums are still out there. I probably wouldn't have bought these, apart from the fact that there was so little else to buy at the Smithville market. And I have to say, those early apples are good, if you can find a bit of space for them.

NJenn said...

Hi! I just found this recipe through a Google search, and the smell of apple crisp is wafting over to me as we speak. Can't wait to taste it, and to see what other goodies you have posted!
Thank you! :)