Thursday, 9 August 2007

Chicken Stuffed with Basil, Dried Tomatos & Goat Cheese

Hurray! My computer is back and so am I!

Where, you may ask, do you get goat cheese curds? I got mine from Mornington Dairy via Zehrs. They are delightful little objects - well worth hunting down. And in case anyone looks at that picture and says "Wow, that chicken breast is huge!", well yes, it was. It was one of two we got at the Hamilton Farmers' Market. I thought it was outrageously expensive for two chicken breasts, but it turned out they were so large that I used all the stuffing for two breasts, one was enough for the two of us, and we ate the second one the next day cold and sliced, which was actually very nice too, although I do like it better hot.

4 servings
3o minutes - 15 minutes prep time

Chicken Breast stuffed with Basil, Dried Tomatoes and Goat Cheese
1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes
1/4 cup boiling water

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup chopped red onion
OR 1 green onion

1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
1/3 cup goat cheese curds

4 skinless boneless chicken breasts

Soak the tomatoes in the boiling water. Keep them covered. (I add them right to the little pot I boiled the water in.)

Chop the onion and sauté it in the oil until soft and translucent. Red onion is better, I think, but if you use a green onion, it need only be chopped and the sautéing can be omitted.

Mix the softened tomatoes (they should absorb almost all the liquid) with the onions, washed and roughly chopped basil leaves and the slightly crumbled goat cheese curds.

Cut a pocket in the chicken breasts and fill each with 1/4 of the stuffing. Alternately, if they are rather thick, slice them so they can be opened like a book. Place them between two sheets of plastic and pound them until evenly thin - at most 1/2" all over. Place the filling over one half, avoiding the edges, and fold over.

Cook in a lightly oiled skillet (so no need to first clean the pan in which you cooked the onion) for 6 to 7 minutes on each side over medium heat, until golden brown and cooked through. I use a cover for part of the cooking time.

4 comments:

Kevin said...

That looks really good! It looks like the stuffing stayed in. The two times that I have tried stuffed dishes most of the stuffing oozed out while it was cooking.

Ferdzy said...

That's definitely a hazard... it helped that they were such enormous chicken breasts!

Valli said...

I am enjoying reading over your blog!!!! This chicken dish looks especially delicious. Right up my alley!!! Anything with goat's cheese!!!! I grew up in Southern Ontario, so, am also enjoying your writings about farmer's markets. I loved to go to the market in St. Jacob's where the Mennonites gave it a certain ambiance riding up in their horse drawn buggies. When I was back at Christmas we went to St. Jacob's (not the market), it has become too commercial and all the special little shops are gone that I remember...just not the same... so dissapointing.

Ferdzy said...

Well, thank you Valli! Actually, I've been reading yours too, and thinking I should link to it. I think I will.

And yes, even since I've lived in the area - about 15 years - St. Jacobs and the market are not what they used to be. I'll be getting up to it one of these days soon, so there will be a review of it.