Wednesday, 18 July 2007

Vietnamese Marinated Carrots & Radishes

This is served as a side dish/garnish at our favourite Vietnamese restaurant, although they use daikon for the radishes. I thought I would give it a try with the more common red radishes, and I was very pleased with how it turned out: the little red radish rims add a nice touch of colour, I think. Although you certainly can make it with daikon if you prefer. The quantities of carrot and radish should be roughly equal. The other dish, by the way, is just cukes in vinegar garnished with borage flowers.

4 servings
1 hour 20 minutes - 20 minutes prep time


Vietnamese Marinated Carrots and Radishes

1 medium carrot
6 to 10 medium red radishes
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup plain white vinegar

Peel the carrot. Slice it as thin as you possibly can: this is when I wish I owned a mandoline. Slice the radishes the same way. I find it best to cut off the rat-tail end, and use the stem end to hold onto while I slice.

Mix the carrot, radishes and salt. Let sit for 15 minutes, then rinse well and drain well. Mix with the sugar and vinegar, and keep chilled for half an hour to 45 minutes before serving.

This will keep for a day or two in the fridge. Serve with roasted or barbecued meats, on sandwiches, or as part of a salad medley.

1 comment:

Peter M said...

Gosh it's perty and no doubt tasty...good appetizer!