Friday, 27 July 2007

Roasted Pepper, Tomato and Bean Salad

This salad was very popular, although I wish I could have given it a bit more colour. All my peppers and tomatoes were shades of yellowy-orange, and more variety would be better; also I was fairly shy on the cilantro. Never mind; it all disappeared very quickly. This could be made all year round with greenhouse peppers and tomatoes, but with the peppers and tomatoes that will begin showing up at farmers' markets soon, it should be especially good.

4 servings
30 minutes - 20 minutes prep time

Roasted Pepper, Tomato and White Bean SaladSalad:
2 large peppers, your choice of red, green, yellow or orange
6 to 8 cherry tomatoes
1-2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
1 540 ml (19 ounce) tin white navy beans
2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup minced cilantro

Put on the broiler, and set the rack so that the peppers will be 3 or 4 inches from it. Cut the peppers in half, and remove and discard stems and seeds. Brush the peppers with the grapeseed oil and lay them on a cookie sheet or other broiling pan. Roast them until they are somewhat soft and the skins begin to char. Turn them once during the process. Put them in a container with a lid while they are hot, and let them cool for about 5 or 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, cut the tomatoes in half and brush them with oil. Roast them until soft.

Peel the peppers and discard the peels. Dice them and mix them with the roasted tomatoes and the drained beans. Mince the cilantro and mix it in.

Dressing:
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar

Whisk the dressing ingredients together and toss into the salad. This salad can stand for a while before being eaten, which makes it good to take on a picnic or for entertaining.

3 comments:

Kevin said...

With roasted peppers and roasted tomatoes you cannot go wrong. I have been enjoying the ontario green house peppers and tomatoes and I am really looking forward to the field ones. The field peppers and tomatoes should be here soon.

CL said...

I make something similar to this using mixed beans, so as to get colour like you said. You could also use chopped chives and parsley to add more greens, which is what I do (or chopped green onions which are in now). I like your use of grape seed oil, I ususally only use it for cooking, but I'll give it a try with the dressing. Looks yummy!

Ferdzy said...

cl, I just used the grapeseed oil to roast the veggies - the dressing was olive oil.

I had a picture in my head of white beans with colourful peppers, but when I went shopping the red and green ones were imported - oh well, next time.