Saturday, 7 July 2007

Potato Madeleines

When I made my potato gnocchi, I baked all my remaining old potatoes. I only used half of them for the gnocchi; here's where the other half ended up. I do think that these also benefited from being made with starchy old potatoes.

These would be excellent to have at a party - they look very elegant, and much of the prep work can be done in advance. I am already speculating about adding different herbs to them.

18 madeleines
1 hour 15 minutes - 15 minutes prep time; cooking time divided over two sessions

Potato Madeleines450 grams (1 pound) old baking potatoes (3 large)
1/4 cup potato starch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup butter plus 2 tablespoons butter
2 large eggs

Bake the potatoes ahead of time, for 40 to 45 minutes at 375°F. Use old potatoes (potatoes that have been stored for some time.) When cool enough to handle, peel and press through a ricer, food mill or mash with a hand masher. Keep in the fridge until you are ready to make the madeleines. This can be done several days ahead.

When ready to proceed, preheat the oven to 450°F. Melt the 1/4 cup of butter, and let it cool slightly.

Mix the potato starch, salt and baking powder in a small bowl, and mix gently into the potatoes, fluffing them a bit as you go.

Beat the eggs (you might as well use the same small bowl as for the flour) with the melted butter, and mix gently into the potatoes.

Melt the remaining butter, and use half of it to brush the madeleine pans. Put a spoonful of the potato mixture into each one, and press gently to fill the forms. Level the tops. (They should be just barely rounded.) Brush the tops with the remaining butter.

Bake at 450°F for 17 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.

2 comments:

Peter M said...

Ferdzy, I'm always looking for new spud recipes. When I'm in a pinch for time, I microwave my potatos, would this still be fine for this recipe?

Ferdzy said...

Hi Peter;

I think it would work. Just bear in mind that the potatoes should be fairly starchy, not sticky.

Also, while I was happy with the madeleines hot out of the oven, I decided that they could use both less salt and less potato starch in future as they seemed a bit dry and excessively salty once they cooled. I will be adjusting the recipe to reflect the changes. Thanks for your interest and comments!