Monday, 23 July 2007

Broccoli Stem, Cabbage & Carrot Stir-Fry

While I love the green, flowery tops of broccoli, the sad truth is that broccoli stems leave me pretty cold. At one point in my life I dutifully ate them anyway. Then I rebelled and started throwing them away, but my thrifty gene twanged and twinged every time I did. Fortunately, I have found a way to make both my tastebuds and my cheapitude happy. This is it.

2 to 4 servings
20 minutes - 12 minutes prep time

Broccoli Stem, Cabbage & Carrot Stir-Fry: a way to use up those less-than-popular broccoli stems2-3 broccoli stems (from 1 bunch)
1 large carrot
2-3 leaves from a savoy cabbage
3-4 green onions
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Peel the broccoli stems, but don't cut off the end. Grate the stems down to the end stubs, and discard the stubs and any stringy bits that didn't grate well.

Peel and grate the carrot. Discard the thick cabbage stems, and finely shred the rest of the leaves. Finely chop the green onions.

Heat the oil in a large skillet, and add all the prepared vegetables at once. Sprinkle the water over the top.

Cook over medium-high heat for 3 or 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until the water is evaporated. Sprinkle over the soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce, and continue cooking and stirring for 3 or 4 minutes more until the vegetables are crisp-tender.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

That looks good. The bright orange and green go well together.