Tuesday, 17 July 2007

Baked Mushroom Meatballs

I hope that nobody thinks, when I say things like "1/2 cup parsley", that I expect you to start stuffing parsley into a measuring cup. Just eyeball it. I trust everyone knows that.

This is some of our beef from Meeting Place Organic Farm. We bought some extra ground beef in the spring to supplement the quarter cow we had bought in the fall. I notice a real difference in texture between the fall ground beef, and the spring ground beef; the spring ground beef seems to have a higher water content, and be a little tougher. However, the flavour is still superb and the fat content is next to nil. And did I mention the flavour? Yum! The mushrooms made these meatballs really quite tender.

16 meatballs - 4 servings
30 minutes - 10 minutes prep time

Baked Mushroom Meatballs ( Organic Beef)1/2 cup parsley
225 grams (1/2 pound) button mushrooms
450 grams (1 pound) ground beef
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon rubbed basil
1/2 teaspoon rubbed oregano
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon savory

Preheat the oven to 400°F.

Clean the mushrooms and trim the ends, and put them in a food processor with the parsley. Pulse until finely chopped, pausing to rearrange the mushrooms if necessary, and, let's face it, it will be.

Crush the salt and pepper together, and add them, the rest of the spices and the meat to the food processor. Pulse briefly to blend. Turn the mixture out into a bowl, and finish mixing by hand. I then scooped them out with my ice-cream scoop, and formed two meatballs from each scoop.

Put the meatballs in a lightly oiled roasting pan, not touching each other. Bake for 20 minutes. Lift them out with a slotted spoon, as the mushrooms release a fair amount of juice. You might as well serve these garnished with parsley, seeing as how you already conveniently have some.


CL said...

This is a nice little blog you have here. I'll come back and visit. Like your barley salad...yum!

We live in south Etobicoke, and aim to eat organic, fresh, local food whenever possible too.

Here's my link. Been a little distracted lately to update it...but I'll get back into it:


Ferdzy said...

Thanks, CL!

Your blog looks good; I hope you will get back to posting there. I'll add you to my blogroll.