Friday, 10 September 2010

Chile-Garlic Sauce

This was experimental, and I'm a little worried that it may be a weapon of mass tastebud destruction, but for those who don't mind playing chicken with their sinuses and have a lot of cayenne or other hot chiles, it may be worth a try.

I don't know what will happen to the heat level in this stuff as it sits. I can tell you that right now, this is probably about 20 years supply because it will need to be doled out by the 1/4 teaspoonful. Yes, this stuff is HOT. You have been warned.

I have to say that I think my recent plan of washing my hands with toothpaste when I have been handling hot chiles really works. I had only one latex glove (must buy more) so I used it on my left hand and held the knife with my right hand. Still, these chiles were hot as hades and I didn't have so much as a twinge afterwards. I can't believe I didn't get so much as a speck of capsaicin on my hands, so I'm going to suggest that you wash your hands with toothpaste right after handling hot chiles - but for pity's sake, wear gloves too. Leave the toothpaste on your hands for a minute or two before rinsing it off, and really work it in.

6 125-ml jars
1 hour prep time

Chile Garlic Sauce
1 1/2 cups diced carrot (1 large)
1/4 cup water
200 grams (2 cups chopped) fresh red cayenne chiles
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup vinegar
3 heads garlic

Put the jars into a canner with water to cover, and bring them to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. Peel and dice the carrot, and cook it in the water, covered, until tender. While that happens, cut the stems from the cayennes and cut them into 1 cm slices. (Wear gloves!) Add them, with their seeds, to the carrots. Add the salt, sugar and vinegar.

Separate the heads of garlic and peel the cloves, and add them to the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes. Put the lids and rings in a pot covered with water on to boil for 5 minutes.

Remove the contents of the pan to a blender, and blend until smooth. Pack into the prepared jars and seal with the prepared lids and rings. Return the sealed jars to the boiling water bath for 5 minutes. Remove and let cool. Test for seals, and label.

6 comments:

CallieK said...

Nice! I have a bumper crop of hot peppers ( cayenne and habanero ) and was debating on what type of hot sauce to make. Why I didn't think of chili garlic sauce, I have no idea.

Miranda Rommel said...

I do a chilly garlic sauce as well, but it's an olive oil immusion and pretty freaking amazing. I like it much better than the tangy/too sweet that vinegar based hot sauces can have. I'm not sure if it's cannable though, probably isn't, and doesn't have as long of a shelf life. Vinegar is good for something, i guess.

Ferdzy said...

Miranda, it sounds good but it wouldn't be cannable. Not just the lack of vinegar, but also the presence of the oil. Too bad.

I have to say though mine is sooo hot I barely notice the vinegar, and the sugar really doesn't register. LOL. It's a lot like sriracha, only way hotter.

dangoodbaum said...

this is so great- I'm on a homemade condiment kick as of late and I'll be sure to make this

Sophie said...

MMMMM,..;I made these last eveing & they tasted great!!

This is one awesome recipe!!

Thanks again! Your recipes ROCK!! Really!

Ferdzy said...

Very glad to hear that, Sophie!

And Dan, I hope you like it too!