Thursday, 28 May 2009

Gluten-Free Wedding Cake - The Final Take - Almond Pound Cake

I forgot to take a picture of the actual cake part of my latest attempt at the recipe for a wedding cake for my cousin, so you get a close up of the marzipan decorations instead. I think they're okay, for supporting players in a decorative role, although I still don't know where I'm going to come up with the talent for the main event.

However, I adjusted the ingredients a little in the cake, and I now do indeed have a final version. I think the coconut flour tended to make it a little dry, so I reduced the amount of flour very slightly, and replaced some of the coconut flour with tapioca starch. This one had a great texture, kept for several days, and sliced nicely. Victory!

Cake with Marzipan Decorations
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 extra-large eggs
1 teaspoon almond extract
3 tablespoons water
1/3 cup rice flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1 cup finely ground blanched almonds
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line the bottom of an 8" round baking pan with parchment paper, and butter the paper and sides of the pan.

Cream the butter with the sugar and salt. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Beat in the almond extract and the water.

Measure the flours, ground nuts and baking powder and mix them together. Mix this into the wet ingredients in two equal batches.

Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth it out. It will be fairly stiff. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.





Last year at this time I made Black Bean Soup with Asparagus.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

How gorgeous! So excited to see how it looks on the day (and to dig in of course)... finally a "real"-looking wedding cake.

Ferdzy said...

Very relieved to hear you like it... looking forward to the Big Day!

chemcookit said...

This is amazing! Did you do the marzipan decoration yourself??

Ferdzy said...

Yes, I did. I look at them and think they're totally amateurish looking, so it really makes me happy to hear other people are more impressed. The final ones should be a less garish green, too. I tinted a roll of marzipan at the start of my experiments and I'm still on the first batch. It goes further than I thought - and so does the food colouring!