Monday, 17 September 2007

Wild Rice & Buckwheat Pancakes

I don't know where you would buy wild rice flour. I made mine; my blender has an attachment for grinding grain. Normally, I've made this with dark buckwheat flour and brown rice flour in the same proportions, and that makes a very good pancake, but I wanted to raise the Ontario quotient. These are not light, white, fluffy pancakes. They are a little thinner and denser, with a strong grainy flavour which may not be to everyones' taste. We love them though, and they are conveniently gluten-free as well.

I feel morally obliged to describe this as four servings, but ha-ha, yeah right. Not in this household. We've even been known to make a recipe and half, and scoff the lot, although in our defense we then don't bother with lunch.

8 6" pancakes (2 to 4 servings)
30 minutes prep time

Wild Rice and Buckwheat Pancakes1/2 cup wild rice flour
1/2 cup light buckwheat flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 extra-large eggs
1 3/4 cups warm water

oil for cooking
butter and maple syrup to serve

Mix the flours, salt and baking powder in a medium sized mixing bowl. Heat the water (1 1/2 to 2 minutes in the microwave does it for me) and beat in the eggs and the water.

Meanwhile, put 2 plates in the oven to keep warm, at around 150°F. Heat 2 skillets (if you can) over medium heat. Pour a little oil into each one, and wipe with a paper towel to coat lightly. Keep that paper towel handy.

Pour 1/3 cup batter into each pan, tilting the pan to spread them out if necessary. Cook until the tops begin to look a little dry, and the pancakes can be easily loosened and turned - not more than a few minutes. Turn and cook the other side, just for a minute or two. Put them into the oven to keep warm. Use the paper towel to re-oil the pans, and repeat the process until all the batter is done.

Serve with butter and maple syrup.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

I like buckwheat noodles but I have never tried cooking with buckwheat flour. I will have to see if I can find some.