Wednesday, 12 September 2007

Beet & Plum Salad with Walnuts & Cheese

I've heard a few descriptions and seen a few recipes lately for salads combining beets and plums. The combination caught my imagination immediately, and now that I've tried it I'll be doing it again, for sure. It's a match made in heaven. The only thing I'll change is that in future I will cut the beets and plums smaller than I did for the salad in the picture - you want to be certain to be getting some plum and some beet in every bite.

4 servings
30 minutes prep time BUT start the beets at least 3 hours ahead

Beet and Plum Salad with Walnuts and CheeseSalad:
4 to 8 beets, depending on size (about 450 grams or 1 pound)

1 small head of red leaf lettuce
8-12 blue plums
1/3 cup walnut pieces
1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese or feta

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Wash and trim the beets so there is just half an inch of stem or so on them. Wrap them in foil and bake them until tender, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Let cool. Peel them and cut them in 1 cm cubes.

Wash the lettuce and cut or tear it into bite-sized pieces. Dry well and arrange on individual serving plates or in a salad bowl. Wash the plums and cut them into 1 cm cubes, discarding the pits. Arrange the plums, beets, walnuts and crumbled cheese over the lettuce.

Dressing:
1/4 cup walnut oil
1/4 cup raspberry vinegar
1 teaspoon honey

Whisk together the walnut oil, raspberry vinegar and the honey. If your cheese is not salty, you may wish to add a little salt. Drizzle the dressing over the salad.

5 comments:

Kevin said...

That salad looks really good. I have been meaning to try a beet salad for a while now. The addition of the plums sounds really nice.

Valli said...

Beets are one of my favourites but I would never have thought of pairing them with plums. On your recommendation I will have to give it a try.

Ferdzy said...

Yeah, guys, I recommend this.

I have to say I don't think I'd have come up with it myself, either, but now it seems so obvious.

ttfn300 said...

A new pairing to me, too! It was awesome, really enjoyed :) thanks for sharing!

Trig said...

Hi Ferdzy

I'm a chef and food blogger and I'm hosting the current round of a meme called They Go Really Well Together (TGRWT). This was initiated in 2007 by Martin Lersch of blog.khymos to explore flavour pairings, based on the hypothesis that if two foods share certain chemical constituents they may go well together when combined in a dish.

In my round of TGRWT, running throughout August, I'm asking fellow bloggers and webmasters to propose dishes that combine plum with blue cheese. Looking around the web I found this recipe, which if a blue cheese were used instead of feta would fit the bill exactly.

It would be great if you would participate in the event, using this recipe, developing it further or creating something new that also meets the criteria.

Sorry to post here, but I couldn't find an email address for you.

Best regards

Aidan