Wednesday, 7 December 2016

Spumoni Cookies

I saw these cookies at An Expat Cooks, and being a fan of all things spumoni, I decided they had to go on the list for Christmas. Of course I fiddled, mostly by cutting the sugar in half (why do people use so much sugar? Nobody who has tried these thinks that the half-sugar version is anything but cookie-sweet.) I also upped the cherries and made them a fair bit smaller, although they didn't take much less time to bake.

To me, spumoni ought to have a mixed peel/tutti-frutti component to it, although modern versions frequently don't. (Yes I am officially old; I spend a lot of time whining about how everything has gotten woooooorse.)

And now I have to admit that actually I didn't put in any mixed peel, but only because I had intended to make the Rolled Spice Cookies which are full of it and I didn't want all my cookies tasting the same. Otherwise, for sure.

36 to 42 cookies
45 minutes - 30 minutes prep time

Spumoni Cookies

2 cups soft unbleached flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup shelled pistachios
1 cup dried cherries
OR 1/2 cup dried cherries
and 1/2 cup mixed peel

Measure the flour and mix in the baking powder and salt; set aside

Cream the butter and sugar until very light, then beat in the eggs one at a time. Mix in the almond and vanilla extract. Mix in the flour, along with the chocolate chips, pistachios, dried cherries, and the mixed peel if using.

Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.

Drop the dough by spoonfuls onto the prepared parchment paper, keeping the cookies 2 to 3 inches apart. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until set on top and just starting to brown at the edges. Remove to a rack to cool.




Last year at this time I made Rum-Ball Bars. The cake has been baked for this years; they'll be made in the next day or so! Yes, I'm behind. What else is new. 

No comments: