Monday, 5 December 2016

Rolled Spice Cookies Again

This is the first time I have re-published a recipe on this blog, essentially unchanged. But my back-stage list of posts tells me that these cookies have been looked at just 78 times, and people, that ain't right. You should be making a pilgrimage to these cookies.

I have to admit that the first time I made them, I carefully put in all the things that I thought would make the ultimate cookie. I mixed them and rolled them and baked them, and thought they were very good. Not quite as ultimate as I was expecting, but very good, so I posted them.

And then they sat around for a few weeks while we ate them. During that time they just got better and better and BETTER. Now that I know these really need to be made in advance and aged, they are MY FAVOURITE COOKIE OF ALL TIME. Yes, I know I said these ones were. But that was then. These are... yes, okay. These are BETTER. On account of being THE BEST COOKIE OF ALL TIME.

As you see, they are quite plain little things but don't be fooled. Just make a bunch of fancier looking things so that when you put these out, people go for the fancier looking things and leave these for you.

I think I've kept these for as long as 2 months, just getting better every day. How long will they keep? I don't know, because I've always eaten them all before then.

Anyway, brace yourselves - it's going to be cookies all week. 

36 to 48 cookies
1 1/2 hours prep time


Rolled Spice Cookies

Mix the Dry Ingredients:
3 cups soft whole wheat flour
1/4 cup sugar (optional)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon anise seed
6 to 8 pods of green cardamom
1/4 cup candied mixed peel, finely minced
2 tablespoons preserved ginger, finely minced
the finely grated zest of 1/2 large navel orange

Mix the flour, sugar, soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon and cloves in a mixing bowl. Toast the anise seed lightly in a dry skillet, and grind them finely, with the cardamom. Sift them into the bowl, discarding the papery husks of the cardamom. Mince the peel and the ginger, and add them to the bowl with the orange zest.

Finish the Cookies:
1/3 cup mild vegetable oil
1/2 cup dark maple syrup
1/4 cup orange juice

Measure the oil and maple syrup into a glass measuring cup, and heat for a minute or so, until the maple syrup is very liquid. Mix with the orange juice, and stir into the dry ingredients.

Mix the dough well, and turn it out to knead for a minute or two. Roll the dough out to about 1/4" thick, or slightly less, on a floured surface or - better - on a sheet of parchment paper.

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Cut out shapes with cookie cutters, and place them on the trays. Bake for 13 to 16 minutes, until firm and just lightly browned. Re-roll the dough and cut out cookies until the dough is all used.




Speaking of homely but favourite things, last  year at this time I made Onions au Gratin

2 comments:

Megan said...

What a coincidence! I made Elisen lebkuchen yesterday. The ingredient list is VERY similar to these spice cookies. Except the lebkuchen use ground nuts instead of flour, plus a lot of eggs (which is great for people with gluten issues). And the lebkuchen are shaped in round lumps instead of thin. But both have candied peel and "warm" spices. Given how amazing the lebkuchen tasted, I'm very interested to make these thin cookies as a comparison.


Ferdzy said...

Yes, I looked at a lot of lebkuchen recipes and "crossed" the features of the ones that sounded the best to me with my favourite gingersnap recipe to get these... it's like plant breeding, only with recipes.