Friday, 16 November 2007

Apple Batter Pudding

Well here is a classic of Anglo-Canadian cooking. I think some version of this pudding was in every Canadian cookbook published up to about 1960. This is probably the first real dish I ever made (I do not count my "Easy-Bake Oven" cakes when I was 7!) By the time I was in my teens I had made this so many times I no longer measured anything but the baking powder. It always came out; sometimes it was moister, or drier, or denser, or fluffier, but it was never ever bad.

I have made some changes over the years; I have cut back the sugar a little, I have switched to whole wheat flour, and I have spiced up the apples a bit.

This was not meant as a fancy-schmancy dinner party dessert; this was meant to fill up the corners at a family dinner, and so it was economical with the butter and eggs, and heavy on the inexpensive flour, milk and apples. It makes a good finish to a meal of soup. Nevertheless, if I had to choose between some rich and elegant chocolate cake and a nice bowl of Apple Batter Pudding with a little cream, I doubt I would hesitate*. Pass the pudd! And oh yeah, I suppose I should confess that what you are looking at in the pictures below is a double batch, made in my largest lasagne pan. That way there's sure to be lots left over for breakfast.

4 to 6 servings
1 hour 15 minutes - 30 minutes prep time

Apple Batter Pudding

Apple Batter Pudding2 cups soft whole wheat flour (I used spelt)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 extra large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup milk

6 medium-large apples
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Mix the baking powder and salt into the flour and set aside.

Cream the butter and beat in the sugar, then the egg and the vanilla. Set that aside.

Butter a large, shallow casserole dish, such as a small lasagne pan. Peel and core the apples, and cut them in slices. Toss them in the casserole with the 2 tablespoons of sugar and the spices. By the way, I don't think it does the pudding any harm to interpret "6 medium-large" apples very liberally for both "6" and "medium-large".

Go back to the butter and sugar mixture, and mix the flour and milk into it, half of each at a time in alternate batches. Scrape the batter out of the pan and over the apples, and spread it evenly to the edges of the pan.

Bake for 30 to 45 minutes. (My double batch took nearly an hour. The time is somewhat variable, as it will depend very much on how deep your dish is. Once you have made it a few times you should have a good idea of how long yours will take.)

Serve warm ideally, with a little cream - not whipping cream, just a little coffee cream poured over. Rich milk will do.





*Oh yeah, right. There would be some serious dithering going on.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

do not think that I have ever had apple batter pudding. It sounds really good.