Friday, 31 July 2009

Cauliflower with Ginger & Cilantro

It's been a couple of days since I've posted. Partly it's because I've been busy making jams, and partly it's because I had wanted to do something special and spectacular for this post. This is very nice, but perhaps not what I had in mind originally for my 500th recipe post. Yes, I really am there! Mr. Ferdzy was quite amazed when I told him. I thought it ought to be something particularly celebratory, but what I actually had in the fridge was cauliflower and a big bunch of cilantro, so this is what happened, even though I just posted about cauliflower. Well, they were on sale so I bought two.

2 to 4 servings
20 minutes prep time

Cauliflower with Ginger and Cilantro
1/2 of a large cauliflower
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 large clove of garlic, peeled and grated
1 small jalapeño chile, de-seeded and finely minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns, crushed
1 or 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup finely minced cilantro
the juice of 1/2 lime

Cut up the cauliflower into bite-sized florets, and put it in a steamer to cook. Don't turn it on until you have the remaining ingredients prepared.

Prepare the remaining ingredients: peel and grate the garlic and ginger, and mince the chile finely. Mix these with the salt and pepper.

Cook the cauliflower for 3 or 4 minutes, then heat the butter in a small skillet or saucepan. Add the garlic-ginger-jalapeño mix and cook until fragrant and just showing signs of changing colour. Meanwhile, mince the cilantro finely, and juice the lime.

When the cauliflower is tender, drain it very well. Mix the cilantro into the garlic-ginger mix, then scrape it all over the cauliflower. Mix well, then drizzle the lime juice over it, and mix again. Serve at once.

Last year at this time I did Jerk Burgers and Summer Pudding.


Joanne said...

I think this is a great representation of how simple and delicious your recipes are! I wouldn't have though to pair ginger with cilantro, but now I definitely will.

Ferdzy said...

Thanks, Joanne.