Friday, 1 August 2008

Jerk Burgers

I didn't actually make these this week, as my crazy times continue, so I pulled this photo from my archive. I sure wish I could have had one though! Would have been great, sitting outside with a burger, some salad and some grilled corn. Soon, maybe...

4 servings
40 minutes - 20 minutes prep time

Jerk Burger
Spice Mixture:
2 teaspoons allspice berries
1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

Toast the allspice berries in a dry skillet until fragrant and lightly browned. Grind them with the black peppercorns, and mix all the seasonings together in a large bowl.

To Make the Burgers:
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup minced chives
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 lb ground turkey or lean ground pork
1 egg
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs

By fresh breadcrumbs I mean crumbs you make yourself with stale bread, just not those dusty floorsweepings you can buy in a tub.

Peel and mince the garlic, and mince the chives. Add them to the seasonings with the vinegar, meat, egg and breadcrumbs. Mix well - I find it much the easiest to do it with my hands. Divide the mixture into 4 equal parts, and form them into patties.

Fry or broil them on both sides over medium heat until done (the juices will be clear if you poke them.) The exact time will depend on which meat you use and how thick you make the patties. Turkey will cook quicker than the pork, and be sure not to overcook it or it will be dry.

Last year at this time, I made Hilda's Summer Borscht - a family favourite of my sweetie.


Cynthia said...

Hmmmm, I've had jerk so many ways before but never thought of a jerk burger. You're definitely on to something here.

Ferdzy said...

Cynthia, they don't have the depth of flavour of a good "real" jerk, as they lack the long slow cooking - but they will do in a pinch! ;)

Kevin said...

Jerk burgers sound really good!