Well. Here it is, the 10th of June. I've been thinking about this date for the last couple of months. It's the 15th anniversary of this blog. Fifteen years is a lot in blog-years. We still owned the apartment building, and we were having work done on the terrazzo staircase. I had to decide for the day - in or out? I opted for in, got bored, posted a few recipes and the rest is history. I needed a better way to organize them than in an excel spreadsheet, and I figured a few people might stumble up against the blog and the recipes could be useful to others as well. Then, I did get a few readers, and I challenged myself to post steadily, which I mostly have done with a few ups and downs.
And now, I think, it's time to stop. I may post the odd recipe if I find something I want to keep track of; that was my original aim after all. But that's happening less and less often. Really, I want to go back and make some of the things I've already made and loved but which don't get made again because I'm looking for something new. The whole point of this blog is that enough is as good as a feast, and enough is near by.
I may also posts a few of my notes about the garden and my breeding projects, as this is a good way for me to keep track of them and share them with others.
This blog has added a lot of structure to my life for the last 15 years and it will seem odd for a while to be without it. I've also made some personal connections to people through it which I will greatly miss. Thank you so much to everyone who has read and used this blog, especially those that have taken a moment to comment. Of course, it is staying up and you will still be able to use all the existing recipes. I may even go back and improve a few.
p.s. In case anyone was wondering, Mom's second eye operation, by which I mean the operation on her second eye since the first one has already had about five operations with more to come, was a success. She is healing slowly and still can't see well, but her world is brighter and it appears she will have at least one mostly functioning eye which is a big relief to all of us.


9 comments:
Congratulations on a great run! Ever since I found your blog a few years ago, I've looked forward to your MWF posts--always stimulating, with useful & entertaining observations. Your sumac vinaigrette for chopped salad with fresh herbs is a regular at our house in the summer now, and I have saved your Rye Spaetzle with Caraway for the right occasion. I appreciate that you'll be keeping this archive available, and maybe posting occasionally.
Thank you for all the work you put into this blog over the years. I'll check back now and then, and maybe make those cottage cheese/oatmeal pancakes one more time in your honour. Will definitely pop by at Christmas to wish you a happy holiday. Good luck with the garden and all your other endeavours!
Best of luck!
Thanks, guys. I appreciate you all so much.
Thank you so much! I have been reading your recipes for a few years now, ever since I first bought some rhubarb from a Farmer's Market and found one of your recipes online. Delicious! I had no idea you have been blogging for so long, that's very impressive! Best of luck to you and your gardens!!!!
I'm going to miss your blag, and seeing how your garden is doing!
best wishes on retirement! I found your blog when researching heritage seeds and google listed one of your columns on seed companies. After that I kept reading your recipes - loved the japanese waffles and all the info on prepping and freezing pumpkin not to mention making quince jam as opposed to quince jelly! I think honorable mention has to go any of your buckwheat recipes too. I hope you are able to blog once in a while about the garden and your attempts at seed selection and saving. Good to hear that your mom's sight is better. cataract surgery is supposed to be quick and problem free. it burns when that doesn't happen.
Thank you for all the effort that has gone into this blog (not to mention all the farming behind it). I discovered it years ago, and the tab on the top of the browser is like an old friend waiting to be checked in on. Living in Detroit, the seasonal focus of what you were up to always lined up with wherever my head was too. Best wishes in the future, and please keep the site up as long as you're able! - Tom Habitz
The last job I had allowed me to look at a couple of sites as I settled in each morning. So SOF (ever since it started) and Counterpunch. They made my days, and I have been reading them faithfully ever since. Thanks for everything you have done down the years.
Post a Comment