This was a simple and tasty soup. I will note that I put the fronds on as a garnish, but I think they actually added a lot to the flavour - so don't do as I did and leave them in big chunks, but chop them finely and sprinkle them over the soup generously.
4 servings
45 minutes to 1 hour - 30 minutes prep time
2 cups diced (1 medium) fennel bulb
2 cups diced (2 medium) leeks
2 tablespoons butter OR chicken fat
3 cups diced (4 medium) potatoes
1 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red chile flakes
1 teaspoon fennel seed
2 tablespoons barley or wheat flour
4 cups chicken OR vegetable stock
1/4 cup chopped fresh green fennel fronds
Wash, trim, and dice the fennel, discarding the tough stalks and root plate. Save a frond or two to garnish. Wash, trim, and dice the leeks.
Heat the butter or chicken fat in a large heavy, bottomed soup pot over medium heat. Add the fennel and leeks and cook gently stirring regularly, for 10 to 15 minutes until softened and reduced but not browned. Meanwhile, dice the potatoes. Add them when there is about 5 minutes more for the vegetables to cook. Add the seasonings and flour, and mix in until no dry flour can be seen.
Add the chicken stock and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes until the potatoes are tender. You may wish to mash them a bit before serving, or not. Serve each bowl garnished with a tablespoon of the finely chopped fennel fronds.
Last year at this time I made Graham Muffins.


No comments:
Post a Comment