Monday, 15 May 2017

Oatty Apple Butter or Jam Turnovers

I've had this recipe for so long I no longer remember where I got it, but I'm pretty sure it came directly out of one of my antique Canadian cookbooks. (Directly apart from the fact that I had to fiddle around a lot to figure out the correct quantity of buttermilk, which wasn't given and took me a number of attempts to determine. Also I cut the original recipe in half - it made enough for an army.)

I certainly consider this a classic of old(ish) time Ontario cooking. Originally, it was made with dates, and if you want to use half a cup of dates cooked to a paste with the same amount of water instead of the apple butter or jam, you absolutely can.

There are still a few (not very good) commercial versions of this kind of cookie around, but they are not nearly as common as they used to be. It's also too bad that they don't seem to be made at home very often any more either. They seem pretty plain, I guess, compared to the chocolate-laden goodies that tend to prevail nowadays. I really like them though, and recommend them highly. They are more cakey than crunchy (they don't contain the amounts of butter or sugar required for that) and are fairly substantial. I would absolutely eat a couple for breakfast, I have to admit.

They are also very quick to make, in spite of what looks like a slightly fiddly technique. The batter couldn't be simpler, and you just spoon things out in layers to get the apple butter (or whatever) partially covered, giving the effect of a slightly sloppily made turnover.

24 to 30
1 hour - 20 minutes prep time

Oatty Apple Butter or Jam Turnovers

1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup soft whole wheat flour
3/4 cup Sucanat or very dark brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 large egg beaten
1/2 cup apple butter or other jam

Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly butter two cookie trays or cover them with parchment paper.

Stir together the dry ingredients. Beat together the cooled melted butter and eggs, then beat in the buttermilk. Mix into the dry ingredients.

Drop about two thirds of the dough by tablespoonfuls onto the prepared cookie trays. Space them well apart. Place a teaspoonful of apple butter or jam over each cookie. Spoon the remainder of the dough over the cookies.

Bake at 325°F for 20 to 23 minutes. Let cool and keep in a cool, dry tin for a few days. They will freeze quite well for longer keeping.




Last year at this time I made Wild Leek Chimichurri

4 comments:

MMeadows said...

These will be great to try! Reminded me of jam filled ruggies which I keep meaning to make.

Ferdzy said...

These would be a little less rich, but also easier to form I would think. The hard part for me was to keep them down to a reasonable size. Please let me know if you do make them! Thanks.

MMeadows said...

I did and they turned out great! Some gigantic, but we didn't mind. Sour cherries in the apple butter added a nice soir undertone too :)

Ferdzy said...

Excellent! Thanks for letting me know.