Monday, 12 September 2011

Beans & Cabbage with Paneer

When we dropped Mr. Ferdzy's Aunt off at the airport lat week, we took advantage of the fact that we were surrounded by what must be one of Canada's largest Sikh communities to do a little shopping for items not found in our sleepy little community. In short, we got some paneer!

The great thing about paneer is that it can be fried, and gets soft and melty but holds together. (Fried cheese! Two of my favourite things, together!) It was delicious with some beans and cabbage from the garden. We didn't put in too much paneer, as this was a side dish for us, but you could use more and it would make an excellent main dish.

2 to 4 servings
25 minutes - 10 minutes prep time

Beans and Cabbage with Panner
1 teaspoon fennel seed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon rubbed basil
pinch of cayenne

2 cups chopped green beans
3 cups chopped cabbage
1 or 2 teaspoons very finely minced fresh ginger
100 grams (1/4 pound) paneer
1 tablespoon mild vegetable oil

Grind the fennel seed and mix the seasonings in a small bowl. Set them aside.

Wash, trim and chop the beans, and trim and chop the cabbage. Peel and mince the ginger. Cut the paneer into 1 cm or slightly larger dice.

Heat the oil in a medium sized skillet. Add the beans, along with several tablespoons of water - watch out, it is likely to spatter - and cook for two or three minutes, stirring frequently, until the water is evaporated. Add the cabbage and another tablespoon or so of water, and again cook, stirring frequently, until the water is evaporated. Add the ginger, paneer and seasonings, and continue to cook for 3 or 4 more minutes, until the vegetables are soft and browned in spots, and the much of the cheese is also browned.

Last year at this time I made Chile Garlic Sauce and Monster Zucchini Slaw. The Chile Garlic sauce, by the way, was hot but not as hot as I had expected, considering the quantity of cayenne chiles that went into it. Something about the canning process mellows them considerably. Also, I am working on the last jar of it - time to make some more!


Jerry said...

Halloumi is my choice for non-melting cheese by far. Love it, but so hard to get in my end of the woods.
You must have been in Square One neighborhood! Last time I was there about 5 years ago I was the only guy without kirpan and turban. I remember when there was a dairy farm at that location.

Ferdzy said...

No, not Square One. Just up Airport Road. And yeah, I can't get Halloumi around here either. I wish I could. Paneer is nice too though!

Jerry said...

Did you ever try to make your own paneer? It is very fast and easy. I have a recipe from friend I used to work with, they make it almost every day at home. Would you like me to post it with a link to this recipe?

Ferdzy said...

Sure, Jerry; that would be great. I haven't made it before. I've heard it's pretty easy but not as easy as buying it I'm afraid.

K. said...

It is almost as easy to make as to buy - especially if you don't live near a good source! A recipe is barely even necessary - bring 1 litre of whole milk to a boil, squeeze in a lemon, wait a few seconds for curds to form then drain through cheesecloth (or a non-absorbent tea towel). If you sit a can of tomatoes on top of it for about a half an hour the texture will be quite firm.