Saturday, 15 August 2009

Middle Eastern Pickled Turnips (Torshi Lift)

These are the little neon-pink pickles that come in middle-eastern restaurants, along with a dish of olives and dill pickles. They are crisp and fresh tasting, with a sweet-hot bite, and did I mention the wonderful neon-pink colour? The colour comes from the beet; just a small bit so make sure your beet is small. If you can't get a small one, just put in a slice. Serve them with falafels or anything grilled.

about 1 quart
1 hour prep time, 2 weeks total time

Middle Eastern Pickled Turnips (Torshi Lift)

8 to 12 smallish white turnips
1 very small beet
2-3 cloves of garlic (optional)
2 tablespoons Sucanat or dark brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup white vinegar

Put a quart jar in a large pot with water to cover, and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, peel the turnips and the beet. Cut them in quarters, or thick fingers, and pack them into the jar once it is done, with the whole garlic cloves.

Put the salt, water and vinegar in a pot and heat until the salt dissolves. Cover the turnips with the brine, and cap loosely with a sterilized lid. Set in a cool, dark place (not the fridge) for 10 to 14 days until fermentation ceases.

Once open, keep in the refrigerator. They will keep for up to 6 weeks, but they will become less crisp with time.

Last year at this time I made Cauliflower in Spinach Sauce with Feta and Creamed Corn.


kawcor said...

EWould this still work if I was to use radishes, as I can't find beets anywhere. Also, how long do you think they would last provided the jar is unopened, and I don't hot water process as per your current instructions.

Ferdzy said...

Kawcor, I also have a recipe for pickled radishes here, which is extremely similar:

I said they should keep a week but if I recall correctly they lasted at least 2 months in the fridge, and that was opened (but in the fridge!)

p.s. Can't find beets? Where are you? I thought they were everywhere...

kawcor said...

Ah, sorry, I meant to say that I can't find the small white turnips you had used. Thanks!