Saturday, 7 February 2009

Peanut Salad Dressing

This is in some ways quite similar to the Japanese style carrot dressing I made last week, although it's higher in fat thanks to the peanut butter. But that also means it's got a little protein too - not a bad thing if salad is most of the dinner. Throw in a hard boiled egg or two, and it could be easily.

The end flavour is fairly different too. I prefer this on a more robust salad than one that's mainly lettuce or other such light greens, which I think is better with the carrot dressing. I used this one on mixed cabbages, carrots and apples which stand up to it better.

ps: And if you bought locally grown and ground peanut butter, well then; no worries.

6 to 8 servings
10 minutes prep time not including salad

Peanut Salad Dressing
1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
2 cubic inches peeled fresh ginger
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup water

chopped peanuts

Put the peanut butter into a small bowl. Grate the ginger very finely into it. Add the soy sauce and vinegar, stirring well between each addition. Slowly mix in the water, making sure to keep the dressing smooth and lump free.

Serve it over whatever salad you like. I used a mix of Savoy and red cabbage, grated carrot and chopped apple. You could add some raisins, if so inclined. It would also be good on just cucumbers, peeled and sliced, or lightly steamed but cold green beans in the summer.

Garnish the salad with a sprinkling of chopped peanuts.

Last year at this time I made Corn Pudding.


Michael said...

What are those bony looking wooden utensil things? They look interesting...=)

Ferdzy said...

They're wooden salad servers from Africa. I think they have gotten a little bleached out from washing, which is why they look so pale. I should oil them. I think they came from 10,000 Villages (I got them as a gift.)

Sophie said...

This looks very appetizing!

Diane said...


Came across your blog when looking for something totally different

Noticed puffballs and that got me.
My favourite
But I can't find what you wrote about them
Not sure if you will ever see this email but if you do please reply as to what you wrote about puffballs
I am in Barrie Ontario and as well a landlady , gardener, retired, soon off to FLorida for the winter.

Ferdzy said...

Hi Diane;

Yes, I wrote about puffballs here.

Copy and past in the top address field to get there. You can also go to the top of the blog (not the top of the page) where there is a blue line, at the left hand side there is a search field.

I hope you find it and thanks for commenting. Have a good winter down south!