Wednesday, 3 December 2008

Pumpkin Squares

I made these with the idea that they were going to be brownies, but they really just weren't. They were very good, though. Because I thought they were going to be brownies, I used more sugar than I would normally put into cake. Feel free to cut it back. I would think 2/3 cup would be quite sufficient. And since we're talking cake, I have to say I keep having visions of cream cheese icing with these.

I used the pumpkin I froze a week or two back, and I did cook it down in a skillet until nearly reduced in half. This gives a richer, more intense flavour to the pumpkin. It also makes it more similar in consistency to canned pumpkin. Still, just as a note: when the batter is finished it is rather disconcertingly thin. It baked up beautifully though, and the squares were very moist but sturdy. They kept very well but I noted they were inclined to darken, especially where they had been in contact with the metal baking pan. It might be better to bake them in a glass pan.

16 squares
45 minutes - 15 minutes prep time

3/4 cup whole wheat or spelt flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg

1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup Sucanat or dark brown sugar
2 extra large eggs
1 cup cooked puréed pumpkin
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a 9" x 9" pan.

Mix all the dry ingredients together.

Cream the butter and beat in the Sucanat or brown sugar. Beat in the eggs. Beat in the pumpkin and the vanilla.

Mix the flour into the pumpkin mixture until well blended.

Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the top is firm and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.


West Coast said...

I love this recipe. First time I have used spelt. I used Safeway's canned pumpkin and margarine
instead of butter. After I tasted it, I thought a light cream would be nicer than an icing.

I love your 'blog'...check it regularly for recipes.

nefaeria said...

Yum! I bet this would taste good with a hint of cocoa in it (although, not very local for us folks in Ontario!). Thanks for sharing :)

Ferdzy said...

West Coast, I'm glad to hear you liked them. It's great to hear when people find this blog helpful.

As for some cocoa, nefaeria, that's why I have the "80%" rule!