Thursday, 18 December 2008

Brussels Sprouts & Carrots

This excellent dish comes from Epicurious, and for once I have not really made any changes. My proportions were slightly different, but that was about it. I have to say I really love it when I find a simple recipe that gives a little oomph to everyday vegetables, and is something I might not have thought of myself. The sprouts and carrots really interacted in an interesting and delicious way. Oh, I did cut back on the butter. I didn't miss it; if people want more they can add a dab at the table. Also, after reading the comments I added a bit more vinegar.

4 servings (they say 6, but not in this household)
15 minutes prep time

Brussels Sprouts with Carrots
1 small shallot
1 tablespoon butter, or a bit more
2 medium carrots
450 grams (1 pound) Brussels sprouts
1/3 cup water (about)
2 or 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
salt & pepper

Peel and chop the shallot. Trim the Brussels sprouts and cut them in half lengthwise. Peel and slice the carrots.

Heat the butter in a large skillet, and sauté the shallot gently until soft. Add the Brussels sprouts and carrots, and sauté until lightly browned. Add the water, and cover the skillet. Cook the vegetables until just tender, and the water is absorbed. Add a little more if necessary, and towards the end add the vinegar.

Season with salt and pepper and serve.

1 comment:

nefaeria said...

Hi there!

We have chosen your blog for the Butterfly Award. Please head on over to this post to find out more :)

http://nefaeriaofetsy.blogspot.com/2008/12/butterfly-award.html

Slàinte!

Aymi & Laurel