Saturday, 21 August 2010

Cabbage & Cheese Curds with Tomato & Tamari

This ridiculously simple dish makes a nice light lunch or supper. There is something about the combination of tomato and tamari that really appeals to me. Of course I am notoriously fond of salt, so why wouldn't it? The cheese takes it from a being a couple of vegetables to being a main dish, if served with noodles or rice. Some nice crusty bread would work as well.

2 to 4 servings
20 minutes prep time

Cabbage and Cheese Curds with Tomato and Tamari
4 cups chopped cabbage
3 cups peeled, chopped tomato
100 to 150 grams (1/4 pound) cheese curds
1 or 2 tablespoons tamari

Put the cabbage in a pot with sufficient water to come half way up it, and bring it to a boil. Simmer for about 5 minutes, until just tender. Drain well, but keep it in the pot.

Meanwhile, peel and chop the tomatoes. Add the tomatoes to the cabbage, along with the tamari. Bring to a boil then simmer, stirring regularly, until the tomato softens, just a couple of minutes. Add the cheese curds and cover the pot. Cook for about 2 minutes more, until the cheese curds melt.

Serve at once over noodles or rice.




Last year at this time I made Fried Whitefish Fingers and Spinach with Celery.

3 comments:

Kate said...

That is such a bizarre combination on first glance...but I think I would really like it. Is it based off anything you've made before, or was it just an "I have x y and z, lets put them together!" moment?

There is a tomato salsa in Beyond the Great Wall by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid that has tomato and soy sauce in it (possibly sesame oil as well, my memory is fuzzy) It's really tasty, and I've made something similar a few times since as a topping for rice or fish.

Joanne said...

I'm a salt fiend also so...sounds good to me!

Ferdzy said...

Kate, I think it was a "cupboard is bare" dish that I made and decided to take note of, as it was better than expected.And yeah; salt, mmm.