Friday, 13 March 2009

Celeriac & Beet Salad

This recipe came from Epicurious, and as I often do with recipes from there, I have reduced it in quantity; otherwise it is much the same, although I thought it needed a touch of green.

Celeriac is a much under-used vegetable, and when you see the price of them at the grocery store you understand why. You can get them at farmers markets, where they typically seem to run about $2; but at the grocery store they are sold by the pound and often end up costing up to 4 times as much. Why!?

2-3 servings
2 hours 20 minutes PLUS cooling time for beets - 20 minutes prep time

Celeriac and Beet Salad
2 medium beets
1/4 medium celeriac
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon minced shallot
2 tablespoons olive or sunflower seed oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
black pepper
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
broccoli sprouts (optional)
2 or 3 lettuce leaves (optional)

Preheat the oven to 425°F. Wrap the beets in foil, and roast them for about an hour, until tender. Let them cool.

Meanwhile, peel the celeriac, and cut it into matchsticks. You should have about the same quantity of celeriac as beet. Mince the shallot, and mix it with the lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper. Mix this into the celeriac and let it marinate at room temperature for about an hour. Toast the walnuts in a dry skillet until lightly browned, and set them aside to cool.

When the beets are cool, peel them and cut them into matchsticks. Mix the beets gently into the celeriac, and add the walnuts. Serve the salad on broccoli sprouts or lettuce, if you like.





Last year at this time I made Pasta with a Zingy Mushroom & Sour Cream Sauce.

4 comments:

ejm said...

I don't think I've ever tried celeriac - in fact, I'm ashamed to say that before looking in Wikipedia, I had no idea what it looked like.

This sounds like a lovely salad for a warm fall day. (Yesterday morning's snowfall doesn't make me think of salads - I found myself using our beets last night with green lentils to make a hearty pasta sauce.)

-Elizabeth

P.S. Too bad about the high price of celeriac. Maybe that's why we've never tried it.

Ferdzy said...

Well celeriac doesn't look that sexy - fat, pale and hairy! - but it's lovely when you get a good one. But definitely look for them at farmers markets.

I know the weather is lousy, but by the middle of March nothing can stop my mind from turning to salads. Ve haf vays to make it spring!

Beets, lentils and pasta! Thats an intriguing combination. I'll have to check it out.

Sophie said...

I have made this yummie salad & my husband & I loved every bite of it!!

Thanks again!!

Ferdzy said...

Sophie, very glad you enjoyed it!