Wednesday, 6 September 2017

Pickled Sweet Spanish Onions

We made these last year; I can now report on how they did.

We have always grown a sweet onion for fresh raw eating in the summer, but for some reason hardly anybody ate any last year. At the end of the season when the tops died down, we were left with 3/4 of a bushel of sweet onions, and they quickly made it clear they had no intention of storing.

I desperately searched the internet for pickled onion recipes. "No canning needed for these quick onion pickles!" they all promised, and I moaned, "But I NEED to can them! Three-quarters of a bushel! Already sprouting!"

Anyway, I had to come up with my own in the end, and I was pretty happy with it. I had hoped that the pickles would keep for a year, but while they are still usable, at the 8 month mark they got a bit too soft to be really good. I suspect that may be because they were sweet onions, and they are just not good keepers even when pickled and placed in a jar. Regular onions might hold up better. Or maybe I should have done the 3 day brining that my other onion pickle recipe calls for. I guess it's nice to know that it might not be done in vain!? 

Still, for the first 6 months these were better than fine, and I used them a lot. I was worried they might be a bit plain and they kind of were, but that actually made them very usable. I threw them in salads, onto sandwiches, even into soups and stews. (Yeah I have scaled the recipe way down from what I made - I had A LOT.)

makes 3 500-ml jars

Pickled Sweet Spanish Onions

10 cups sliced sweet Spanish onions
pickling salt
3/4 cups water
1 1/2 cups white vinegar

Peel and slice the onions, a layer them in a large strainer (I used a steamer insert for a pasta set) sprinkling each layer lightly with pickling salt. Set aside in a cool spot and let drain for 3 hours.

One hour before assembling the pickles, put the jars in a canner with water to cover them by a good inch and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes. 

Put the water and vinegar together in a pot, and bring up to a simmer. 

PER JAR:
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon white peppercorns
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon pickling salt
1 teaspoon sugar

Lift the jars from the canner, draining half of them into the sink and half of them back into the canner. Put them on a heat-proof board and add the seasonings to each jar. Fill each jar with the well-drained onion slices. Pour the hot brine over them. There should be about 1/2" headroom at the top of each jar. Wipe the rims of the jars with a bit of paper towel dipped in the boiling water in the canner.

Bring the lids and rims to a boil, and seal the jars. Return them to the canner and boil for 20 minutes. Let cool, remove from the canner, test the seals, and label the jars. Keep them in a cool, dark spot for up to 6 months; once opened they must be kept in the refrigerator.




Last year at this time I made Dill Pickle Brined Pork Tenderloin.

No comments: