Thursday, 24 September 2009
Final Report on the Sauerkraut
The sauerkraut I made a few weeks back is now... sauerkraut. Successful sauerkraut. Hurray!
I checked it every day or two, and in spite of that I was caught a bit by surprise by the need to top up the brine. It really lost a lot during the fermentation process (the newspaper I threw out afterwards was pretty raunchy) and the tops of the kraut started to discolour a little before I realized how short of brine they were. However, I gave them their infusion of the brine and they turned pale and healthy looking again, and are fine. I guess I caught it before it became a problem. I made two more cups of brine and used pretty much all of it topping up my 4 and a bit jars. By that time, fermentation seemed to be complete, and no more overflowed. This was at least a week and a half, if not two, into the process.
So the plain one is your standard plain sauerkraut. The "kimchee flavoured" sauerkraut is not exactly kimchee flavoured. It still tastes remarkably like sauerkraut, but hot and spicy. It's good, just not all that kimchee-like. Oh well, I'll have no problems eating it up. It'll be pretty much all mine, mind you, since Mr. Ferdzy is not a fan of kraut. He loves my pickles, and he loves kimchee, so I am a bit perplexed that sauerkraut doesn't make the cut, but there it is.