Tuesday, 4 November 2008

Spelt Pie Crust

Basic pie dough with a nice nutty flavour from the spelt.

1 double pie crust
30 minutes - 10 minutes prep time

Spelt Pie Crust
2 1/2 cups whole spelt flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter
6 to 8 tablespoons ice cold water

Put the flour and salt into a food processor, and whizz briefly. Cut the butter into chunks and add them to the food processor. Process until the butter is the size of peas, then start adding ice cold water in tablespoons. Once you have added enough that the mixture begins to hold together, turn the contents of the food processor out onto a sheet of parchment paper or waxed paper. Press everything together to form a disc of dough, and wrap it up in the paper loosely. Set it aside to rest for about 15 minutes.

Divide the dough into 2 unequal portions. One should consist of about 60% of the dough, and the other should be about 40% of the dough.

Roll out the larger portion into a circle a little larger than your pie plate, sprinkling it with a little flour to keep the rolling pin from sticking. Flip the circle of pastry into the pie plate while it is still attached to the paper, then peel the paper off. Press the pastry into the bottom and sides of the pan.

Once the bottom crust has been filled, roll out the remaining dough in the same way as the first piece, although it should only be the size to top the pie. Place it in the same way, then pinch it sealed all the way around the pie. Cut or pierce the top of the pie in several spots to allow the steam to escape as the pie cooks; 45 minutes to an hour depending on the pie.

Last year at this time I made Brussels Sprouts with Bacon & Onion.


Unknown said...

Thanks for this great recipe - exactly what I was looking for! The crust turned out light, flaky and delicious. I'm thinking that it would make a wonderful main dish pie with veg. and meat too.
-Heather (Colorado, USA)

Ferdzy said...

Heather, glad you found it and it worked well for you.

laura said...

thank you so much for posting this, it looks so beautiful and flaky! i just picked a .5 bushel of apples and will be using this crust to make some turnovers this afternoon. thanks again!