Wednesday, 10 October 2007

French Fingerling Potatoes

French Fingerling Potatoes

It isn't that I'm obsessed by fingerling potatoes; it's just that they seem to be very comme il faut at the moment.

I was attracted to these by their brilliant pink skins. They have a very solid yellow flesh, specked with pink and with an emphatic central zone when raw. Cooked, they are simply yellow. I used about 3/4 of the ones I bought to make mashed potatoes, and found them both dense and starchy; I needed to add quite a lot of butter and cream to achieve a desirable texture. In spite of this, I have to admit I didn't find them terribly exciting in flavour. I mean, they were fine and we ate them up, but there was nothing particularly distinctive about them. On the other hand it should probably be mentioned that the Sweetie and I are neither of us fans of yellow fleshed potatoes in general. (Yukon Gold? Eck. Ptui.) I propose to roast the remaining few; we shall see what we think of that.

Edited to add: roasted, very good. They remain nice and dense. I suspect they would have been very good fried as well.





Fingerling Potato on Foodista

1 comment:

barbara said...

I am obsessed with French Fingerlings! I like to cut them into about 1 - 1/2 inch (yes another American) pieces. I put them in the microwave for about 4 min. In the meantime I have cut up shallots and am sauteing them in olive oil. (You can also use garlic and/or your favorite onion.) When the potatoes are finished, I add them to the saute mixture. I then put broccoli crowns into the microwave. I add those to the pan and stir all with a wooden spoon. Today, I added eggs to the mix. It was good, but I prefer the potato mix as a side or the entire meal. I think this would also be good roasted, but haven't tried it yet.