Saturday, 30 June 2007

Peas & Radish Salad

I bought some rather enormous radishes at the farmers market today. I thought they were some kind of exotic beet when I first saw them. In general, it isn't a good idea to get such huge radishes - like strawberries, they are better small. However, although one or two of these were spongy inside, at least none of them were woody. And they were most impressive! I also bought something I have not seen before; fresh but already shelled peas. Not sure what I think of them. They were better than frozen, for sure, but I did not think them quite as good as those I shell myself. Next time I make this salad, I think I would like the radishes and carrot chopped more finely than I did.

4 servings
30 minutes prep time

Peas & Radish SaladSalad:
2 cups (450 grams) fresh, shelled peas
12 large radishes (I used 7 humongous ones)
1 small carrot
1 leaf of red cabbage

Rinse the peas well (if you have purchased them already shelled) and put them in a pot with cold water to cover. Bring to a boil and boil until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain in a colander, and run cold water over them until they are cool. Drain well.

Wash, trim and slice the radishes. Peel and chop the carrot finely, and wash and shred the leaf of red cabbage. Mix the vegetables together.

Dressing:
1 tablespoon minced fresh dill leaves
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup mayonnaise (light is fine)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns

Mix the dill, buttermilk and mayonnaise in a small bowl. Grind the salt and celery seed together, then add the black peppercorns and grind them as well. Add the seasonings to the dressing. Mix well then mix the dressing into the salad.

No comments: