Monday, 25 June 2007

Oatmeal Cooked in a Rice Cooker

Well, the last few days have been an endless blur of eating out, partly for pleasure and partly for duty. The one thing that has been constant has been that we have our morning oatmeal! We probably eat oatmeal 350 mornings a year, or pretty close. Sometimes I feel like a change and sometimes it gets too darn hot. But right now, this is what we do...

2 large servings
20 minutes - 2 minutes prep time

Oatmeal Cooked in a Rice Cooker
1 cup oatmeal
pinch of salt
2 cups water

Put in rice cooker. Turn on. When the rice cooker turns off, let sit 5 minutes before stirring well and serving, with the toppings of your choice - raisins and rice milk for us. Use the cooking period to wash and get dressed, or otherwise prepare to face the day.

Rough, eh? I feel the need to say more about this: this is just the start. You can add fruit; fresh or dried. You can boost it with bran or flax seed, although I usually just sprinkle a little flax seed over the top when I am serving it. If you want nuts, I think they are better added afterwards as well - keep them crunchy.

Also, note that in general our rice cooker doesn't work well with less than 1 cup raw grain. You can make it work down to 3/4 cup, but add a little extra water. Lower than that and I cannot guarantee results.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

This sounds interesting. I have had a rice cooker for a while and never thought about using it for oatmeal. It sounds like there are a lot of possibilities. I normally use my rice cooker for rice for breakfast, but I will definitely have to try using it for oatmeal.

Have you tried using the timer setting on the rice cooker for oatmeal?

Ferdzy said...

Hi Kevin!

I love my rice-cooker - it will have its own label on the sidebar - but mine is an extremely basic one, which doesn't have a timer. So, no. I'd be a little worried about the oatmeal being rather mushy after sitting all night (I assume that would be the plan) but on the other hand, it's not like oatmeal isn't fairly mushy anyway. I'd think it would be worth trying.