Wednesday, 10 August 2016

Cauliflower Salad

I got a lovely cauliflower last week, and when I was thinking of what to do with it I thought of a salad. Plainly my brain has been infected by all those dieters who have been replacing potatoes with cauliflower, because I thought, "like potato salad, only cauliflower!".

In fact the result is really quite good. This is more of a supporting player than a superstar, but then so is your classic potato salad. I suppose if you cooked the cauliflower longer it would have a softer texture more like potato, but it would also be more like overcooked cauliflower so I suggest you don't cook it too much longer than I have suggested. I do like mine al dente, it is true, so you have a little leeway.

This version is pretty basic, and the cauliflower flavour shines through. You can tweak it to be more like however you make your usual potato salad; if I had any peas left I would throw some in, and I added a chopped hard boiled egg to the leftovers.

4 servings
15 minutes prep time

Cauliflower Salad

Make the Dressing:
1/3 cup mayonnaise (light is fine)
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon finely minced fresh dill
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste

Whisk all these ingredients in a mixing bowl.

Make the Salad:
3 cups cauliflower florets
2 large stalks of celery
1/3 cup finely minced parsley
1 medium sweet onion (about 1 cup minced)

Put a pot of water on to boil for the cauliflower. Wash the cauliflower and break it into florets. Blanch it for 2 to 4 minutes in the boiling water, then rinse it in cold water until cool and drain well.

Wash, trim and chop the celery and parsley. Peel and chop the onion.

Add the vegetables to the bowl of dressing and toss until evenly blended and coated.

No comments: