Monday, 11 January 2016

Red Cabbage with Cranberries & Lemon

I don't know why red cabbage so often ends up with sweet and sour flavours - well, yeah; they go so well, but surely other things do too - and here they are, yet again. Nice, though.

By now, when I say "fresh cranberries" I expect them to be frozen. That's fine. I just didn't mean the dried ones, although I bet you could, if you omitted the honey and added a little more liquid.

This is nice and zingy and like most sweet-sour braised red cabbage dishes is the ideal accompaniment for rather rich meats, like duck, turkey, or pork, although it will taste just fine with chicken or fish. These are smaller servings than I usually do of vegetables, but it's a bit richer and more intensely flavoured than most of my vegetable dishes as well. 

6 servings
30 minutes prep time

Red Cabbage with Cranberries & Lemon

3 or 4 medium shallots
3 cups finely shredded red cabbage
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup water or apple cider
1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
the juice of 1 lemon
1 cup fresh cranberries
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon fennel seed
1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon salt

Peel and slice the shallots thinly. Clean and shred the cabbage.

Heat the butter and water in a mid-sized skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and cabbage, and cook slowly, stirring regularly, for about 20 to 25 minutes. Meanwhile, add the other ingredients as you prepare them; first the lemon zest and juice, then the cranberries and honey, then the fennel seed and black peppercorns ground together with the salt.

When the cranberries are all popped and cooked down, along with the cabbage and shallots, and the liquid is mostly evaporated or absorbed, remove the cabbage to a serving dish. 




Huh. Last year at this time I made Quick 'n' Dirty Pan-Braised (Green) Cabbage. And served it in the same dish... I'm so predictable, what can I say?

No comments: