Friday, 9 October 2015

Cauliflower with Mushrooms & Garlic

I do like pan-cooked cauliflower, and mushrooms, and garlic... so here they all are, along with paprika, which I also like very much. Yeah, I liked this, is what I am saying. Why not? It was good.

I used a plain paprika but only because I didn't actually have anything with more of a nip to it in the cupboard. Otherwise I would have used that, and liked it too. Smoked paprika would work well here, I think. 

4 to 6 servings
50 minutes - 30 minutes prep time. 


1 medium (1 kilogram; 2 pounds) cauliflower
250 grams (1/2 pound) oyster or button mushrooms
4 to 6 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons mild vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon sweet or hot Hungarian or Spanish paprika
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chopped parsley to garnish

Trim the cauliflower, wash it, and cut it into bite-sized florets. Clean and trim the mushrooms, and slice or chop them into smaller pieces. Peel and mince the garlic.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, and add the cauliflower along with enough water to just cover the bottom of the pan. Cook, stirring frequently, until the cauliflower is about half done and the water has evaporated - add a little more if it is gone before the cauliflower is to your liking.

Once the water has evaporated, add the mushrooms. Continue cooking and stirring, until the mushrooms and cauliflower are starting to brown and break up a bit. Turn down the heat just a little and mix in the garlic, paprika, and salt, and continue cooking and stirring for a minute or two more until everything is nicely cooked. and combined. Turn it out quickly onto a serving plate - don't let the garlic scorch - and garnish it with parsley.




Last year at this time I made Eggplant with Anchovies.

No comments: