Wednesday, 11 March 2015

Welsh Rabbit

Well, as ever, we ate all this ourselves! I have to say I regretted it a little - it was so very rich. Delicious! No question. But very, very rich. This often gets served nowadays as an appetizer in much smaller portions, and I can see why. 

So now a few statements must be made: yes, the proper mustard is Coleman's; no, I didn't have any and we all survived to tell the tale. You can use whatever hard, melty, but sharp and flavourful cheese you like; a good old Cheddar will be perfect. And if I catch you calling it "rarebit" I will thump you about the head and shoulders. Okay? Okay.

I don't write much about alcohol, because alcohol and I are not best buds (alcohol started it). However, I've been coming across this Forbidden apple cider the last few months, which is made just out of town with local apples, and I have to say I like it. There is another apple cider, made in the next town over, called (strangely enough, or maybe not)  Thornbury cider. I don't like it much, because it reminds me of beer, while the Forbidden cider has an almost champagne-like quality to it, but maybe you will feel exactly the opposite for the same reasons. In short; use what you like. And yes, there will be quite a lot of the tin left over. Too bad, so sad, someone will just have to drink it.

Next time I make this, if it is not for more people than just the two of us, I am going to try keeping half the sauce in the fridge for another time, and broiling it a little longer on the toast to heat it through, so we don't have to eat it all at once. I see no reason why this should not work.

2 to 4 main to 6 to 8 appetizer servings
20 minutes prep time

Welsh Rabbit

200 grams (7 ounces) sharp old cheese
3 to 6 slices of good firm-textured bread


1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 cup alcoholic apple cider, or beer

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 large egg

Cut the cheese into fine cubes, or grate it coarsely. Have the bread cut and ready, and toast it under the broiler as you make the sauce.

Heat the butter in reasonably large saucepan, with the flour, and cook, stirring well to blend,  until it lightens a bit in colour. Add the mustard, and the cider or beer, a bit at a time, stirring constantly to make a smooth sauce. As soon as it is well blended mix in the cheese, and stir frequently as it melts to keep the sauce smooth and not scorching on the bottom.

At this point it is undoubtedly time to turn the bread over, and toast it on the other side. You should be aiming for fairly crisp toast, but only let the second side get moderately brown.

Once the cheese has melted, turn off the stove. Quickly and thoroughly whisk in the Worcestershire sauce and the egg, then pour the sauce evenly over the toast slices. Return them to under the broiler for just a minute or two until nicely browned. Serve at once.




Last year at this time I made Scrambled Tofu.

No comments: