Wednesday, 12 November 2014

Quick & Easy Braised Tofu

"Oh yum, tofu in barbecue sauce!" said Mr. Ferdzy. Well, kind of, I guess. Whatever you want to call it, he liked this sauce and so did I. You could add a little hot sauce or chile-garlic sauce to it if you like, at the stove or at the table, but I felt like not having hot sauce for once, so I didn't.

Serve it with steamed rice and a green vegetable, and have a very quick and easy meal, on the table in half an hour.

2 to 4 servings
30 minutes prep time

Quick & Easy Braised Tofu
Make the Sauce:
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1/4 cup water

Mix the ketchup, vinegar, hoisin sauce, and water in a small bowl and set aside.

Braise the Tofu:
3 tablespoons mild vegetable oil
450 grams (1 pound) firm tofu
1 tablespoon finely minced peeled fresh ginger
1 tablespoon finely minced peeled garlic

1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
freshly ground black pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Slice the tofu into 16 equal slices, and add them to the pan once the oil is hot. Prepare the ginger and garlic and set them aside.

Fry the tofu until it is nicely browned on each side, about 5 minutes per side. At this point, add the ginger and garlic, and stir them, as much as you can without disturbing the tofu, for a minute or two to let them cook a bit. Then, add the sauce to the pan and reduce the heat to medium. Swish out the bowl the sauce was in with the water, and add that to the pan as well. Shake the pan a bit, or lift the tofu pieces, to allow the sauce to go under them.

Simmer the tofu pieces in the sauce for about 10 minutes, until the sauce is thickened. Stir gently, especially around the edges of the pan, where the sauce will thicken fastest (and may scorch if it gets too thick). Try to be gentle with the tofu pieces, and not break them.

Serve the tofu and sauce over steamed rice or noodles.


Chiara M said...

This recipe came up in my feed reader yesterday and I knew I had to try it right away. I love pan fried tofu and I love barbecue sauces. I made it for lunch with rice as you suggested, but that wasn't enough so I made another batch for afternoon snack. I added a red thai chili pepper each time for a bit of extra bite and it was really yummy.

Ferdzy said...

Chiara M, I am so happy to hear that! Yeah, next time I will have to add a little heat too.