Monday, 9 June 2014

Pea Shoots with Oyster Mushrooms

I think I make a pea, mushroom and allium dish every spring. There are enough variations in both peas and mushrooms that they all seem a bit different.

This one could perhaps even have been done all through the winter, if you can find someone growing pea shoots as a micro-green. I have to say, though, that I would really prefer to make this with pea shoots picked at the dau-miu stage, which is to say less stem and more leaflet, but nobody seems to be growing them as such, at least not around here. C'mon, farmers! Get with the programme. In theory, I could pick them as such from my own garden, but I can never bring myself to diminish the pea harvest in that way!

4 servings
15 minutes prep time

1 teaspoon arrowroot or cornstarch
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons water
300 grams (10 ounces) oyster mushrooms
6 cups loosely packed pea shoots
3 to 4 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon mild vegetable oil

Mix the arrowroot, soy sauce, vinegar, and water in a small bowl and set it aside.

Trim the tough stems from the mushrooms and cut them into bite-sized pieces. Rinse and pick over the pea shoots, and drain them well. Peel and mince the garlic.

Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Cook the mushrooms until softened and slightly browned, then mix in the garlic. Mix in the pea shoots, turning them to get them cooking down evenly. When they are mostly wilted, stir up the sauce well then pour it over the vegetables. Mix it in well, and continue cooking and stirring until the pea shoots and mushrooms are done to your liking. 

Last year at this time I made Seedy Chicken Salad with Sweet Sesame Dressing

No comments: