Wednesday, 19 March 2014

Parsnips with Prunes & Lemon

This was a simple but very effective way to serve parsnips!

I dried the prunes myself in the summer, which is the only way you will get local ones, I'm afraid. Consequently, they were quite firm - not to say hard - and I soaked them in boiling water before I added them to the parsnips, along with the tiny amount of liquid still on them. I also used half the amount of butter I am calling for. It was adequate, I suppose, but I had to watch the parsnips very carefully to keep them from scorching. Better to use a bit more butter if you can.

Be sure to keep the heat at medium when you cook the parsnips, both with the water and after, to make sure they are cooked through by the time they are well browned. 

4 servings
20 minutes prep time

Parsnips with Prunes & Lemon

450 grams (1 pound) parsnips
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup quartered prunes
the juice of 1/2 lemon
salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste

Peel and trim the parsnips, and cut them into bite-sized slivers. Heat the butter in a medium-sized skillet, and when it sizzles add the parsnips and the water - pour the water in slowly and carefully so it doesn't spatter all over. Cook the parsnips over medium heat, turning occasionally, for the 5 minutes or so that it takes for the water to evaporate.

Once the water evaporates, continue cooking the parsnips for another 5 or 10 minutes, turning them occasionally so that they are evenly browned. When they are nicely browned and tender, add the prunes and the lemon juice. Sprinkle with a little salt and a grind of black pepper. Continue to cook and turn the parsnips until the lemon juice has been absorbed - just a minute or two more - then turn them into a serving dish.

No comments: