Friday, 21 February 2014

Lemon Cabbage with Poppy & Sesame Seeds

This is the kind of recipe that this blog is all about. I am always so pleased when I come up with something that is so simple and fast and just a little twist on the usual, and tastes great too. I think it might have been better, although by better I mean prettier, if I had had some white poppy seeds. Still, very nice and it will definitely be done again.


4 servings
20 minutes prep time

Lemon Cabbage with Poppy & Sesame Seeds

4 cups chopped cabbage
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
the finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon
the juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste


Trim and chop the cabbage, and steam or boil it until tender; about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, toast the poppy and sesame seeds together in a dry skillet, until the sesame seeds are lightly browned and they smell fragrant. Remove them to a plate (I used my intended serving dish) to cool. Zest the lemon over them. Squeeze the 1/2 lemon and set the juice aside until needed.

When the cabbage is cooked, drain it, and leave it in the colander while you melt the butter in the saucepan in which the cabbage was cooked. Add the toasted seeds and zest, the salt and pepper, and then the well-drained cabbage to the butter. Pour in the lemon juice Mix well until the lemon juice is absorbed.




Last year at this time I made Carrots with Cardamom & Pistachios.

No comments: