Monday, 24 June 2013

Strawberry-Poppy Seed Salad Dressing

"Whoa", said Mr. Ferdzy. "This is good." 

I do always like to hear that. I kind of liked it myself, I must say. Still, I wish I had thought to add some more whole or sliced strawberries to the salad, because I think that would have made it even better, although a simple combination of lettuces from our garden along with a few of our first snowpeas and radishes was just fine. There's some left over, so I will have a chance to try it again.

You could omit the poppy seeds if you don't care for them, but anything made of raw puréed strawberries is going to have a little seedy thing going on; I figured I might as well make it official.

6 to 8 servings
15 minutes prep time

Strawberry-Poppy Seed Salad Dressing

1 cup fresh hulled strawberries
1/4 cup sunflower or nut (almond or hazelnut) oil
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
a good grind of black pepper
the juice of 1 small lime

Wash and hull the strawberries, and put them in the bowl of a food processor or blender. Add the remaining ingredients, and process until smoothly blended. Pour it into an attractive serving container, using a spatula to scrape it all out. Apply it ad lib to the green salad of your choice... eat... enjoy! That's all there is to it. 

2 comments:

luckiest1 said...

Mmm, this looks yummy. Might try it for dinner tonight!

Ferdzy said...

Luckiest, if you try it let me know!

I should mention that the leftovers kept for 24 hours in the fridge quite well, and our second salad had lettuce, strawberries, feta cheese and toasted sunflower seeds and was maybe even better than the first one! Yum!