Monday, 12 November 2012

Pan Fried Jerusalem Artichokes with Ginger & Garlic

Look what has turned up at the local store! It's Jerusalem artichoke time. The more I eat these, the better I like them. Since they remind me a bit of water chestnuts I decided to cook them with Asian flavours, which I would say works well.

Be sure to have everything ready and standing by before you start cooking the Jerusalem artichokes. They should still have a bit of crunch left in them if possible.

2 servings
30 minutes - 25 minutes prep time


500 grams (1 pound) Jerusalem artichokes
2 to 3 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon finely minced fresh ginger
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon arrowroot or cornstarch
2 tablespoons mild vegetable oil

Wash the Jerusalem artichokes. They don't need to be well peeled, but pare off any tough or scabby bits. Cut them in 1/4" slices.

Peel and mince the garlic. Peel and mince the ginger. Set them aside together.

Mix the soy sauce, vinegar, water, sesame oil, and arrowroot in a small bowl.

Heat the oil in a mid-sized heavy skillet. Sauté the Jerusalem artichoke slices until evenly browned, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and mix in well. Stir up the sauce and mix it in well. As soon as it is thick and evenly distributed - under a minute - serve up the dish.





Last year at this time I made Brussels Sprouts & Jerusalem Artichokes - how bout that - and Light Christmas Fruitcake. This years' is already sitting in the cold room, marinating. I made three smaller loaves this year, and should go update the baking info.

3 comments:

CallieK said...

I harvested a bunch yesterday and roasted the m with cauliflower, salt, garlic and a bit of oil- damn tasty! They were one of the few things that did really well for me this year- I still have lots left to try your recipe

Tiffany Mayer said...

I love, love, love Jerusalem artichokes. This recipe sounds really good.

Erin Roy said...

Hi There - I've been following your blog and I would love to feature it on Ruralist at www.ruralist.ca. We are doing a story on our favourite food blogs and would like to include yours. Just wondering if there is a way to contact you. I'm at erin.roy@ruralist.ca Thanks!