Tuesday, 9 October 2012

Turkey (or Chicken) Paprikas

So... been eating any turkey lately? We sure have. Two people and a fifteen pounder is a bit ridiculous. Mum came over and helped us with it the first night, when we roasted it, but she hardly leaves a mark. There is still a lot of turkey to go.

This is a very classic Hungarian dish, normally made with chicken. But turkey is very good too! You can start with raw turkey or chicken, which is the usual way, but it adapts very easily to being made with leftover cooked turkey. Hurray, not a sandwich! (Although I've been eating those non-stop too, and liking them. Still have about 4 good slicing tomatoes left from the garden!)

I had a boo at Jerry's recipe over at My Food, Garden, Golf, before I started, although of course I did it my way... In particular, I added some sweet Alma paprika peppers from the garden, with which we are overrun at the moment. I also had Mako onions, which is a true Hungarian heritage onion, for which I managed to get some seed this spring. That was fun, but really, they were onions when all is said and done; any kind will do. I also had some of the last few tomatoes to use fresh from the garden, but any kind of canned tomatoes will do, from diced to sauce although the sauce should be on the thin side; dilute it (with chicken broth or wine ideally) if necessary.

4 servings
1 1/2 hours - 1 hour prep time


2 large onions
1 head garlic
4 small (2 cups sliced) sweet red peppers
900 grams (2 pounds) raw chicken pieces or turkey breast, skin and bone in
OR 3 to 4 cups cooked chicken or turkey, cut in 2" chunks
2 to 4 tablespoons bacon fat or vegetable oil
4 to 5 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
2 cups peeled, chopped tomatoes
OR 2 cups thin tomato sauce
2 cups chicken or turkey stock
1/4 to 1/2 cup sweet sherry or white wine (optional)
 250 ml (1 cup) sour cream OR very thick yogurt

Peel and chop the onions. Peel and mince the garlic. Wash, core and slice the peppers (and blanch, peel and chop the tomatoes, if using fresh ones.)

Cut the chicken or turkey into smaller than serving size pieces - I aim to give each person 2 or 3 pieces. Pre-cooked meat should be cut a little smaller, as you will not want to re-cook it for too long, for fear of it becoming dry. If you use a raw turkey breast (or thigh), I would cut it from the bone and discard (i.e. use to make stock) the bone. If using raw chicken pieces I would leave the bones in; I would also take Jerry's advice to use thighs. Leave the skin, or at least some portion of it, on the pieces. (Won't really work with cooked, so that can be removed.)

Once everything is cut and ready to go, heat 2 tablespoons of the fat in a large skillet. Cook the onion and pepper pieces until soft and slightly browned, and remove them from the pan and set them aside.

If starting with raw chicken or turkey, heat the remaining fat in the skillet and brown the pieces on both sides. Keep them dry before they go in, and try not to crowd them too much. Once they are nicely browned, add the garlic and the paprika, and stir them around for a minute or two. Add the tomatoes and the stock. Return the onions and peppers to the pan. Reduce the heat, and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring, or at least gently lifting the pieces of meat and moving things around so they don't stick or burn. Stir in the sherry or wine, and about half the sour cream. Heat through and serve.

If starting with cooked turkey or chicken, leave the peppers and onions in the pan once soft and slightly browned. Add the garlic and paprika, and stir them around for a minute or two. Add the tomatoes and the stock. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the pieces of turkey or chicken, and continue to simmer until they are heated through; again, stir gently. Add the sherry or wine, and the sour cream and let heat through for another minute or two, then serve.

Either way, best over rice or dumpings. I love the idea of Jerry's poached bread dumplings, but I have to say I lack the ambition at the moment.




Last year at this time I made Lasagne alla Chiles Rellenos, and Gingerbread Pear Pie, which I recall as being kind of amazing. Both of them, actually.

2 comments:

bluelacedredhead said...

Thanks Ferdzy, I have far too much turkey leftover here as well and Hubs won't eat it. I just might try this recipe for supper tomorrow!

Ferdzy said...

Stay tuned, Blue. It's gonna be turkey all week. By the way, I see I forgot to dispose of the second half of the sour cream. It just gets dabbed on top is what.