Wednesday, 8 August 2012

Sautéed Beets & Greens

I've always liked beet greens, even when I hated beets, which was for about half of my life, at least thus far. And when you get a nice bunch of beets with beautiful leaves, it's a shame to not make the most of them. I do think the milder beets such as the golden ones, or Chioggia (Bassano) make better greens in general. Also the stems can be tough, and should be discarded.

This recipe can be scaled to however many servings you like; it's one beet per person. I didn't do the toasted sesame seeds because I didn't think of them at the time, but they would be good, I'm sure. Beets and their greens call out for robust flavours to keep them company, like, uh, bacon. But you can't put bacon in everything (can you?) and sesame has the kind of oomph that works well too. 

We were actually quite surprised to find beets in the garden this week. It wasn't that we didn't plant any, it's that the deer discovered them early on and pruned them regularly. We had given up on them. But 3 weeks of managing to keep the deer O-U-T, and voilà; beets. And it has to be admitted that the regular pruning left the leaves very young and tender.

2 servings
20 minutes prep time 

2 medium beets, with their greens
2 teaspoons mild vegetable oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds (optional)

Wash the beets, and cut them from the greens. Cut off and discard the stems, and chop the greens coarsely. Rinse them well again, and set them aside.

Peel the beets, except for the stem end. Grate them coarsely, down to the stem end nub, which should be discarded.

Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the greens, and cook, stirring frequently, until evenly wilted. Add the grated beets and cook until everything is well amalgamated, about 5 minutes. Mix in the soy sauce and the sesame oil, and serve 'em up.

Last year at this time it was Roasted Bean & Beet Salad with Blue Cheese. I don't mean to do this kind of thing, I really don't. But when it's time, it's obviously time.


Emily said...

Hi! Great site! I'm trying to find an email address to contact you on to ask if you would please consider adding a link to my website. I'd really appreciate if you could email me back.

Thanks and have a great day!

Ferdzy said...

Emily, if I'm going to do that I will need your email address...