Monday, 2 April 2012

Endive & Mushrooms au Gratin

Wow, I've been using a lot of mushrooms and shallots around here lately. And it's not over yet, I'm afraid. Sorry. Not very sorry, because they are awfully good in my opinion, but still, sort of sorry.

This is wildly rich. If you don't serve it as a vegetarian main dish, I would serve it with some very plain and lean chicken or fish to keep things in some kind of a balance. And yes, really; that much mustard. It's not too much. 

4 servings
1 hour - 30 minutes prep time

Endive and Mushrooms au Gratin

250 grams (1/2 pound) button mushrooms
4 large shallots
4 heads Belgian endive
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
2/3 cup whole milk or light cream
3 tablespoons soft unbleached flour
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon rubbed savory or thyme
black pepper to taste
1/2 cup finely grated old Cheddar cheese
3 tablespoons fine bread crumbs

Clean and slice the mushrooms. Peel and slice the shallots. Trim the ends of the endives, and slice them in half vertically. Preheat the oven 350°F.

Heat one tablespoon of the butter in a skillet, and sauté the mushrooms in it until soft and browned. Lay them in a 2 quart (or litre) shallow baking dish. Heat another tablespoon of butter in the skillet, and sauté the shallots until soft and slightly browned. Add them to the mushrooms. Add the final tablespoon of butter to the pan and cook the endive halves on both sides until softened and slightly browned. Turn them carefully to keep them holding together. Lay them gently over the mushrooms and shallots in the baking dish.

Measure the milk or cream, and whisk in the flour, mustard, savory, and pepper.  Mix in about 1/3 of a cup of the grated cheese. Pour this evenly over the prepared vegetables. Mix the remaining few tablespoons of cheese with the crumbs, and sprinkle them evenly over the top of the vegetables.

Bake for 30 minutes, until bubbly and lightly browned on top.

Last year at this time I made Bison Meatloaf.


masterofmom said...

Hello from Sarnia! I stumbled on your blog through Google while searching out blue potatoes and as a fellow Ontarian who is focused on healthy, local eating, I am thrilled! I am a poser gardener with a shrivelled brown thumb, so my garden is dismal at best, but what I lack in skill I try to make up for in enthusiasm.

Currently I am trying to talk my husband into chickens, even though we live smack-dab in the middle of the city. Aside from my blue potatoes, I also want to try to grow square pumpkins for the kids this year. Perhaps a little too ambitious for a bad gardener with three young kids, but what the heck, we'll give it a try.

Ferdzy said...

Sorry I missed this while I was away! Thanks for commenting.