Thursday, 15 March 2012

Chocolate Beet Cake

For the last month I have found myself wanting chocolate cake. So, eventually, I broke down and made one. Also for the last month I have been looking at some beets in the fridge and trying to decide what to do with them. I'd been hearing about this cake for  years, so I decided now was the time.

I also tried an unusual icing I've been hearing about for years too, which I will post tomorrow. Together, they were great. This was a nice cake but I do think the better for some frosting. It was very moist and kept well.  The beets added colour and kept it moist but if you did not know they were there, you probably would not guess.Neither the cake nor the icing were intensely sweet, but dense, moist and richly flavoured.

12 servings
1 hour 15 minutes - 30 minutes prep time, not including cooking the beets or icing

Chocolate Beet Cake

2/3 cup mild vegetable oil
100 grams (4 ounces) unsweetened chocolate
1 cup sugar
3 extra-large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups very finely grated or mashed cooked beets
2 cups soft unbleached flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Put the oil and chocolate into a mixing bowl that can be heated over a double boiler, and do so, stirring regularly, until the chocolate is melted. Alternatively, it can be heated and melted in the microwave, if you are sure to check and stir it regularly. In either case, don't let it overheat or scorch.

When the chocolate is fully melted, mix in the sugar. Beat in the eggs once you are sure that the mixture is cool enough that it won't cause them to set (cook). Mix in the vanilla and the peeled and grated or puréed beets.

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line the bottom of 2 9" round springform pans with parchment paper, and butter the sides and the paper.

Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt, and mix it into the wet ingredients in 2 passes. Divide the batter (it will be quite thick) between the 2 prepared pans. Spread the batter evenly to the edges of the pans and be sure it is level.

Bake the cakes for 40 to 45 minutes, until just firm. Let cool before icing.

Last year at this time I made Lamb Cabbage Rolls.


bluelacedredhead said...

We had a family dinner at a local organic restaurant this week. As the waitress passed by with a piece of chocolate cake we were all amazed to see that there was a beet as a garnish...Oh yeah, there was beet chocolate cake on the menu.
Hope yours turned out well. :)

Ferdzy said...

Beet garnish, eh? I don't think I would go that far. Although I guess you don't have to eat the garnish, but then why bother? Mine turned out fine... but I thought the frosting was even better than the cake, although the went together really well.