Thursday, 9 February 2012

Citrus & Ginger Beet Slaw

This was a ridiculously easy to make little salad, and very tasty too. Raw beets are still something of a novelty to me, but they are surprisingly crisp and refreshing and worth doing as a regular thing.

I used a small blood orange for the orange in the salad, and used a second one to garnish it, which I do recommend. Actually, I wonder how this would be with grapefruit. Pretty good, I would think - must experiment. I still have half a bag of beets left, since that was the only way I could find Ontario beets being sold. *Shakes fist at grocery store.*

4 servings
45 minutes - 15 minutes prep time

Citrus and Ginger Beet Slaw

1/4 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
1/4 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
1/2 teaspoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
1 teaspoon honey
the juice of 1 small orange (I used a blood orange)
the juice of 1 medium lime
1/4 teaspoon salt

2 large or 3 medium beets (2 cups when grated)

Grate the lime and orange zest and the ginger into a bowl that will eventually hold everything. Mix in the honey, orange and lime juices and salt, stirring until the honey and salt are dissolved.

Peel the beets, leaving the rough skin at the top on. It will give you something to hold onto. Grate the beets into the bowl of dressing, and discard the tops once your fingers are in danger.

Toss the grated beets with the dressing, and let marinate for about 30 minutes before serving. This will also keep overnight in the fridge.




Last year at this time I made Quinoa Pilaf and Ginger Marinated Carrots & Turnips. Yes, there seems to be something about the middle of winter that makes me want ginger in my raw veggies.

No comments: