Monday, 9 January 2012

Bocadito Elena Ruz

Bocadito Elena Ruz
Hey everyone! I'm not here right now, but at the sound of the beep...

Oh, wait; that's not right. Let me try again. Hey, everyone! I'm not here right now. I'm in Cuba! Yes, Cuba! For 2 weeks. In preparation for this momentous occasion I have made a few Cuban dishes which will, thanks to the miracle of modern computing, appear at intervals until I return; at least, that's the plan. We'll see.

This one is a simple sandwich of cream cheese, strawberry preserves, and sliced cooked chicken or turkey on a plain white or slightly sweet sandwich bread (challah, for instance). It was invented in the 1930's at the request of a young Cuban socialite who would go seeking a late-night snack at one of Havana's trendy cafes. It's also very handy if you still have any leftover Christmas turkey around, and if you decide to put in cranberry sauce rather than strawberries preserves, well, it will be much less Cuban but perfectly tasty. It's traditionally toasted, but you don't have to. It's a sandwich, - a bocadito, - for heaven's sake.

Anyway, a very happy new year to all, and I'll "see" you when I get back.

Last year at this time I made Caroline's Low-Sugar Sweet Potato Cake.

1 comment:

CallieK said...

Jealous! Hope you're having a great time!