Wednesday, 23 November 2011

Ginger-Lime Mashed Sweet Potatoes

This is an easy and straightforward way to serve sweet potatoes. I've come to the conclusion though that there is one way and one way only to cook sweet potatoes: bake them. Steaming is bad, and boiling? Don't EVEN think about it. Actually, I have pan cooked them in slices and that's okay. Just keep them away from water unless you like bland sogginess.

Ginger-Lime Mashed Sweet Potatoes
4 large (750 grams, 1 1/2 pounds) sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons butter
the juice of 1 large lime
2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
salt & pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Wash the sweet potatoes and poke them several times with a fork. Bake them for aproximately 1 hour or perhaps a little longer, until tender.

While the sweet potatoes are baking, put the butter, lime juice and ginger in a small pot or dish and heat until the butter melts. Set aside until the sweet potatoes are ready.

Let the cooked sweet potatoes cool enough to handle, and peel them. Mash them with the butter, lime juice, and ginger. Season to taste with salt and pepper. This can be re-heated in the oven or in a pot, if you let it cool that much.

Last year at this time I made Rutabaga Hash.


Jerry said...

My favorite way to cook sweet potatoes is to quarter them with the skin on and then nuke them on high for 7 minutes in my microwave, other makes could be less or more. I just can’t see myself warming up my oven for 30 minutes and then bake 2 potatoes for another 1 hour. BTW, I love that ginger touch, brilliant!

Ferdzy said...

Right, I always forget about the microwave. That doesn't add any liquid, so it would be okay too. As for ginger, it goes with everything! That's what I say.

Jerry said...

Of course, you are correct about the ginger. However, ginger AND Frank's Hot sauce goes with everything, including ice cream.
BTW, I never bake any potato in the oven. To me it is terrible waste of energy and time. For gnocchi, I "bake" my potatoes in nuker, always. I place them on a doughnut made out of paper towel so that they do not touch the glass turntable and flip them 4 times during cooking. Works like a charm and they are done by the time the oven would come to the temperature.